Monday, July 8, 2013

Support (and Progress) in a Crisis

31 weeks and hopeful
The amount of support and caring that has surrounded us in such a short time is amazing. Notes and messages from unexpected quarters with personal stories of similar situations have been reassuring. I've felt truly cared for, even when many of these good thoughts have come from quite a distance.

Then of course there have been so many offers of baby items in ways that I never expected. Friends, family, and even people we haven't talked to for months and months have come out bearing gifts for kiddo.

My mom said I wouldn't have to worry about the baby. I guess she was right (moms have this ability...being right...I hope I end up with having close to her level!).

I feel like this was an exercise for us...for buttressing our faith in humanity, for reminding us we're not alone, for clarifying Christian's purpose, and to prepare us for the next thing which is going to be huge. I know it's going to be big, because after I ate breakfast this morning I checked my email and saw a message entitled, "This is not a coincidence." The message was from a political activist group about reproductive rights - one of the main themes of the novel I just published. Throughout the body of the email were the words "this is not a coincidence." And I knew it was a message - push your book, Alexis. Now is the time. Everything happens for a reason. 

I'm setting things up to do that, but that process is another story. Still, it gave me hope. It made me feel like I could relax slightly, if only because the universe is conspiring for us despite appearances. And so we march onward.

So far today we've applied for unemployment, paid some of our outstanding medical bills that weren't covered by our old insurance, made our credit card payment, fixed up Christian's resume, researched a few job prospects,  and I was able to finish another quarter of my pregnancy devotional book that I've been working on. Christian is about to send off some applications to different shops that will hopefully let us stay in the Bay area long enough to at least let me give birth at the center here.

I really don't want to switch care providers now. I'm in the home stretch. We've already paid most of the fee and they know us and I feel comfortable with them. Having to deal with new people and trying to figure out their expectations and philosophies at this point seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I don't have to stay in the Bay forever, but at least through September. Just get me through September.

Hell, kiddo could come early, if the bugger wanted to. I would settle with the last week in August (despite the annoyances that might cause - but we're past the point of annoy now, aren't we?).


Whatever the case may be, we're making progress. We're supported and loved. There is a plan. Signs are everywhere. And fortunately, I have enough sense to read them.

Thank you all for everything you are doing for us. I don't think we could get through this without you. 

If you want to share your personal fall or a similar situation to give others hope, please comment below. I know I appreciate hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment