Monday, July 1, 2013

Registering My Anxiety: Worrying About Baby Registries

As my baby showers get nearer, I'm wondering about every little thing on my registry. I'm wondering if I registered for the things I will really use and need. I'm wondering if because I registered on Amazon a whole bunch of people won't even look at my registry because they're not tech saavy (think: the sweet church women who are over 75). I'm wondering if the people who look at the registry will even bother with buying the things I requested. I'm wondering if I should have less clothes on there because well, I want the other things on there more (actually, of the non-essentials I'm most excited about books. I'm such a writer!). Then of course, I also feel a little guilty for putting so much on the list, but...this is my first and I've got limited resources at the moment so I only feel a little guilty. :-/

What makes it worse is that everything I've read gives conflicting advice. The only thing that seems to be universal is that "team green" is the safest way to get gifts off your registry. Mostly this is because people buy clothes for girls and random crap for boys (toys?). People tend not to buy things on the list when they know the sex. I guess that's one more good reason not to tell people...

Even writing this I feel like a gift grabber. :-( But I can't help it. I've got limited income and this is my first kid. I don't have a foundation of gear to rely on (another reason to keep early stuff "team green"). Everything on my list was carefully thought through because I want it to last. I want it to be useable with #2 if there is one (I'm 90% sure there will be, but we'll see how round 1 goes). That's one of the reasons I'm primarily cloth diapering (sposie users - spare me the poop comments and the grimaces). I don't want to spend 1000s annually that will basically just get stuffed into a landfill.

Incidentally...I really hope I get diaper covers. Really.

Don't worry, I have a plan in place if the registry doesn't work out like it should. Is it solid? Mostly (badumcha!). And the reality is if I get a ton of clothes, they will be useful (assuming they're not in newborn sizes!). And I'm pretty excited about some of the handmade things I know I'm getting (my aunt is making a blanket!). These things are useful and obviously not all on the registry (though they are similar to things listed).

I also know, from my wedding gifts, that I may have missed something. One of the most useful gifts I got at my wedding shower was something I didn't register for (a casserole dish - not sexy, but I have used that thing constantly!).

For those gifts that just won't work for our lifestyle, they're getting returned. Remember: we live in a tiny loft. Exersaucers are a bad idea for us. Anything big and bulky, no matter how highly reviewed is getting exchanged. Pretty much anything that squeaks, honks, or whirs is getting returned for my personal sanity. I have a cat. She yowls enough. I don't need a baby toy band.

Now I just have the nail-biting wait. Maybe it's gouche to wonder aloud, but I can't help it (and let's face it - everybody does it!). What will I get? How much will I have to spend (and scramble while waddling)? The suspense is killing me!

In the mean time, I'll try to focus on writing and organzing my life. These are big enough distractions I don't think I'll have time to wonder about baby gear... Ahem. Right.

If I keep telling myself that, it might come true? Right? Right???

No comments:

Post a Comment