Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Unexpected Symptoms: Pregnancy Sound Effects

Even though it's hard for me to think about much else than my situation, I decided I would share my thoughts about one of the more ridiculous and unexpected pregnancy symptoms I've encountered.

In fact, this isn't really considered a pregnancy symptom. Some people might do this just normally. But I think every pregnant lady I've met does it, even if she never did before becoming pregnant. And like most things in pregnancy, it's preparation for one thing or another. At least, that's what my midwives tell me.

Yes, prego ladies make sound effects.

When I brought this up in my prenatal group, the ladies looked at me with confusion for a second. But then I explained - no matter what physical thing it is, a prego lady will make a sound effect. Sometimes she'll make noises just because. They instantly laughed and nodded, because like me, they've been in situation after situation that required sound.

I'm not talking about the farts (which are plentiful) or the burps (which are neck in neck with the farts) or even the snoring (which has become nightly courtesy of a permanent phlegm collection between my nasal floor and my throat). I'm talking about the groaning, the grunting, the loud sighs and the long moans. I'm talking about the fact that it takes several minutes to get up from a reclining position, and the motions required (along with the effort) are just that much easier when accompanied by groans and grunts. And the sounds are subconscious. We prego ladies don't even realize we're doing it, until it's pointed out to us. Usually what happens is we're making noises, trying to do something, like pick something up or push ourselves up to standing when our partner will come over and say, "Do you need help?" And then we blush, nod, and sheepishly respond, "Yes."

By the time a prego lady reaches her third trimester, everything has a sound. They can't be helped. And, like every other symptom of pregnancy, after all the crazy sounds of child birth, they'll go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment