Monday, August 17, 2015

Raising Genderless: Honoring A Toddler's Choice

Outside the box
When Kiddo was born, and even before, I swore I wouldn't pigeon-hole him. I didn't want to keep him from being himself, whoever that was. So I promised, to myself and him, that I would protect and honor his preferences.

I promised I wouldn't push my ideas and preferences onto him.

That is easier said than done, however I think I've done a reasonable job. Sometimes they creep up on me, like when he wanted the Elmo sleepers marketed for girls, covered in pink flowers. I heard myself saying, "girl sleepers" and I had to pick my jaw off the floor.

Since when was that a problem? Sleepers are just sleepers. Who would even see them? Why would that make a difference anyway?! I bought pink and purple cloth diapers for him. How was that any different?

I rationalized my non-purchase by saying they were poly. Kiddo can't wear synthetics coated in flame-retardant. They pill and make him stink from sweat. Plus, they feel awful and the chemicals negatively impact developing endocrine systems. I only let him wear cotton sleepers.

I didn't even touch them to find out what they were. I didn't get close enough because Kiddo was throwing a tantrum he wanted them so badly. I was annoyed, exasperated. I didn't want to get him any more sleepers, that's true, but something else was bothering me. The sleepers were pink.


I was reacting to the fact that he wanted something that was "for girls."

But he's just a little boy. It shouldn't matter that he has a penis or not. It shouldn't matter one way or another what he wears or likes. He should be able to explore himself and what he likes whatever shape that takes.

So I'm grateful for Target's choice to take down their artificial gender barriers. It allows that exploration for all kids. I don't feel weird looking at play food, baby dolls, and remote control cars in the same aisle.Those are all things Kiddo likes. He also likes cleaning, building, and every sport that contains a ball. I'm glad the pressure is off about what is okay for a parent to purchase their child, because frankly, I'm on the cultural border.

Kiddo really likes the color pink. And Abby Cadabby. He sleeps every night with a stuffed Grover and Abby. He likes both a lot. Yes he screams out and giggles when he sees Super Grover, but he also waves his arms like he's a fairy before the Sesame Street fairy school segment.

This may end up being his favorite toy...
Which is why I bought him the Flying Fairy School for his birthday.

It was a great deal. I found it for half the usual price and it gave him two figurines as well as few pieces of furniture along with the school itself. I know he's going to love it. And yes, the characters have wings. And wands. And are purple and pink. Which happen to be his favorite colors.

So what?

Watching Steelers pre-season
Kiddo is a stereotypical boy in many ways. He just collected another bruise today from yet another fall (growing and going TOO fast). He runs around screaming at the top of his lungs. He loves trucks, and cars, and adores
motorcycles. He loves all sports involving balls - golf, soccer, baseball, football, basketball, tennis (yes, even tennis!). But he also likes to pretend to cook and play with figures. His made-up stories often involve hugs and kisses. He loves fairies, butterflies, pink, and purple. He is empathetic, and works hard to make people feel better when they are upset or sad by giving them his toys, hugs, or trying to make them laugh. He shares (I know, but seriously - he does!) at least half the time. He likes sparkles.

And I can't blame him. I like all those things (well, I'm not crazy about watching tennis, but playing is all right. Golf bores the snot out of me, but mini golf is kind of fun.).

The point is his sex organs do not dictate what I give him. And they don't dictate who he is now or will become as an adult. If he wants to wear "girl sleepers," that's okay. That was just a label someone else gave a product that fits any child. And if my toddler loves that product (and I do too), then by the grace of our capitalist overlords, I will let him have it.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. When Target made their announcement, I was so relieved. *Finally someone gets my kid!*

      Delete
  2. as long as he continues to be a Steelers fan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While we can't control the choices of our kids, we definitely influence them. Seeing as how he often calls any and all football players "Steelers," I think we have a fighting chance.

      Delete
  3. Fine, but what you're going to find out is that your son develops stereotypically "male" characteristics as he gets older, regardless of what you do.

    Why? Simply put, gender-specific behavior has a substantial biological basis. The research is clear on that. Sorry if that's an "inconvenient fact" for social constructionist feminists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts.

      Whenever I talk about Kiddo to people, particularly regarding his activity level, I'm always struck by how this is attributed to being male. His aunts were all extremely active as children and exceptional athletes, while his father was not. This clearly is not a gender thing, or a sex thing, but rather an individual thing.

      Of course certain propensities are associated with hormones, which I have blogged a lot about (as I researched it extensively while pregnant). Testosterone is associated with aggression, musicality, and risk-taking (even left-handedness!). However, liking pink is a personal preference, and has nothing to do with inherent sex characteristics. It only becomes associated with gender when culture becomes involved. Clothing choice is cultural, not inherently male or female or anything else.

      I think, if Kiddo begins exhibiting stereotypical American male characteristics it will have more to do with his choice to embrace cultural expectations and conforming to social pressure (including the modelling he receives from his parents and grandparents). And that is fine for him to do, as it is his choice.

      My goal in parenting is to give him safe space for genuine choice of self-expression, rather than placing limits on who he can be before he has been able to explore himself as a person. Who am I to say who he is? Who anyone is? People are fantastic mysteries - always changing and growing - possessing marvelous depths.

      I thought this was an interesting article about choice (from a teaching perspective but still): http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com/earlychildhood/article_view.aspx?ArticleID=607

      And this was an interesting discussion on the nature v nurture argument (a strong case for choice and epigenetics): http://www.simplypsychology.org/naturevsnurture.html

      Delete