Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Last Weeks' Tweaks - Getting Through the Final Month

37 weeks laughing at Chrisitan's jokes
Since I reached full-term, I'm realizing I have a few different things to change around in my habits. Some things are harkening back to earlier practices (i.e. second trimester exercising routines) and others are brand new.

So not only am I doing all my HypnoBabies requirements (or at least trying to), but I'm also adding some breathing exercises when I feel short of breath (which so far haven't really done much but a valiant effort!), my modified diet, additional exercise, and of course, "tummy time."

Unfortunately my carbless plan isn't working...like not at all. I tried to be really good yesterday and today but there was a major flaw in this plan; I can't seem to eat enough to feel full. 

I have some snacks, like hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese, but I still feel hungry. Not only do I still feel hungry, I still feel the need to eat carbs.

Maybe I would feel differently if I had uber fiber-filled bread (You know, the kind that makes you poo bricks? That bread! Bleh.).

So...I confess...I ate a hamburger. I had to. I was starving! And for the first time in 2 days I felt like I was full. Normally, I don't eat my entire burger. I pick off some of the lettuce or onion or bread or something...but not today. I ate the entire thing. That should tell you something - it certainly told me something.

I don't care what that midwife said. I'm eating how my body feels I should.

Don't get me wrong - I'm still steering clear of pastries and Rice Krispies (sigh) but I think I'm going back to my peanut butter and banana sandwiches for breakfast. Then for lunch I'll stick with my new habit of making half my plate raw veggies (which seems to feel pretty good even if it means I have to have a hard boiled egg for a snack 30 minutes later). I'm still undecided about what to do with the dates though.

*It should be noted in all my reading and researching I've done, it's next to impossible to guess a baby's weight/size with any accuracy prior to birth. Ultrasounds are inaccurate. Belly checks are inaccurate. Fundal heights are inaccurate. Weight gain being linked to baby size isn't necessarily accurate. There are just too many variables. So the idea that I should cut out carbs completely based on these commonly inaccurate indicators is frankly ridiculous. All that said, simple carbs do lead to bigger babies, so you shouldn't eat junk in the last few months. But with all things, take it with a grain of salt...or pepper...or a splash of whatever is recommended for your situation.

Exercising after meals is something I need to remind myself to do. I keep forgetting to walk, but it seems a modified warm-up routine that I used in my second trimester is enough to get in a little activity without making me feel like I'm going to fall over. This is definitely something I can do, though I've been pretty inconsistent the last few days.

Maybe the key to this one is just doing the exercise as soon as I think of it. My problem is usually getting caught up in other things and by the time I look at the clock, the day is over. I could, of course, return to making daily schedules...except for the fact that these days my schedule gets thrown out by naps and periodic exhaustion.

*sigh*

The final habit I added to my repertoire is "tummy time." Tummy time is something that is more frequently associated with babies - a time to practice holding their heads up and developing new skills. Yeah...that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about helping to turn a posterior baby anterior.

Kiddo's head is down, you see, but his back is to my back. This is also commonly referred to as "sunny-side up." Now before you harp all over me about how this will make my birthing time painful or some other such nonsense - I've read studies. Posterior babies don't actually indicate "back labor." Just as many anterior births result in back labor as posterior babies...so that's not a problem. It does however tend to result in longer labors.

Well, I'm not into that. My HypnoBabies tracks remind me daily that I deserve a short, easy birthing time. That's my goal.

Of course, I've also read studies that say that turning a baby from posterior to anterior before birth doesn't necessarily indicate the baby will stay that way. They've also shown that babies change position several times during early labor etc.

Still, this kid has been pretty much posterior for the last month. It's worth attempting some position changes. So out came my fitness ball, and I began leaning forward and typing at a table, as opposed to reclining on a bed. This is hell on my swollen feet, but it might change kiddo's position.

No matter how I look at this business of the last month, discomfort seems to be the name of the game. It's a series of trade-offs. In the end, I'm not sure exactly what I'll end up doing. All I know is I'll try to keep up with my blogs (so far, so good) and work on my writing goals (This week I put out the third book in my writing challenge...so there's that!). With everything else...I'll do the best I can and not worry about it if I miss something. One way or another, the kiddo will arrive and he'll be however he'll be. And it will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment