Friday, June 28, 2013

10 Cheap Ways to Beat the Heat Prego Style

Sitting on my couch downstairs I listen to the breeze going through the citrus leaves outside my loft and I wish it was cooler. The humidity from living by water is epic, especially when compared to other places in California where the concept of humidity is downright mythical. Here I actually have mosquitoes. I don't know if they exist in certain other parts of the state.

I feel like I'm dying. This level of heat reminds me of when I was first married, during the most ridiculous and mixed up time in my married life - when we first moved to Phoenix AZ.

Now, Phoenicians are good at dealing with heat. They have it down to a science - a very expensive science (think: $300 per month for electricity during the summer) but it works. If you can stay indoors during the season of Hell (which really does exist in Phoenix) then you can live. Of course, Hell lasts from about April through October. We moved there in August.

We moved to a place that didn't have a working fridge or AC unit. Those first months of married life were tough, and largely spent in the comfort of the nearest mall's food court. While I wouldn't wish it on anyone (or care to repeat such a horrid time), it makes me really REALLY glad I'm not pregnant in Phoenix. As it is, with the latest heatwave in Oakland I'm feeling like I'm stewing in my own juices (a novel experience for someone who doesn't really sweat). SO, I thought I would share the tricks I learned to deal with heat while growing up on the East Coast and living in Phoenix without AC (because let's face it, few places in the Bay have AC).
  1. Cold showers are the most divine thing in the world. Yes they shock your system for 30 solid seconds, but after that, they are sheer bliss. The feeling lasts for a little while afterwards, especially if you can get dry quickly (living in a humid place you want to have good towels).
  2. A strong fan is essential. When you're coated in sweat, nothing feels better than a nice breeze. This might be elementary, but it bears repeating. To up the cool factor, set out a bowl of ice in front of the fan. Oh yeah! That's cold!
  3. Drink water. This might seem strange to put on a list of things to help you keep cool, but without water you can sweat too much, dehydrate, and overheat (fainting is just not a good plan). Plus, there's something really wonderful about the feeling of cold water going down your throat on a hot day.
  4. To keep the sticky at bay, coat yourself in baby powder. If it really is too humid, this will be a god-send.
  5. Loose clothing is amazing. It let's you have a little draft carrying the hot away from your body. I am currently living in dresses and skirts.
  6. Take a shower before you sleep and wash your hair. Sleep with wet hair and keep your body temperature cooler for the whole night. Bliss!
  7. Park yourself in a pool or the ocean. Even if you haven't gotten your prego suit yet, just get whatever clothes are most comfortable and wade right into that water. Stay there until your skin shrivels. It's worth it. If you don't have access to that, break out the hose - or the sprinkler. No one is too old for this - especially a prego lady in a heatwave.
  8. Head to the library. Libraries are free (for now) and generally air conditioned. Plus they have stacks of interesting books to wile away your time learning something when you'd otherwise be wilted in a gutter somewhere.
  9. Splurge and go to a movie. Movie theaters are notorious for being freezing (well, unless your pregnant, in which case their temps are just right). That is a solid block of 2 hours in cold heaven!
  10. And of course, you can always hang out at the mall. Window shop, buy some lunch, bring a book and your laptop. You could spend the whole day there if necessary.
What are some ways you've learned to beat the heat while being prego? Leave a comment and let me know! I'm always looking for more suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment