Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Maternity Clothes Are Stupidly Expensive & The Secret Prego Wardrobe

I am in fact wearing a maternity shirt today. However, my skirt I bought when I was NOT pregnant. My underwear is NOT maternity. In fact, I can count on one hand how many "maternity" clothes I own (3 shirts - that's IT!).

Maternity clothes are stupidly expensive. Some of this has to do with the amount of fabric being used. Yes, there is more fabric and therefore the cost goes up. That said, does it need to go up $10? I don't think so. It's not THAT much more fabric. As you can imagine, I began scheming of ways to avoid the shakedown that is "maternity wear."

The only thing I really want to have that seems out of reach is a pregnancy bathing suit. I want to go swimming when I'm visiting Santa Barbara in a month, but I don't want to spend $100 for a bathing suit I can only wear for a few months. That's stupid. There are a few options that might substitute, but I'm not sure I even want to spend $26 on something I'll only wear a few times before donating it, and I don't want to buy a used bathing suit. That's gross.

So, I may have to fork over some dough for the bathing suit. Not sure on that one, but I'm slowly coming around to the idea. However, that doesn't have anything to do with my everyday wardrobe. So, I will share with you the little known secrets of spending very little to get reasonable clothes that will work even during the later months of pregnancy (and after!). Here is my must have list:
  1. Yoga pants are your friend - especially the ones with the fold over waistbands. I bought 2 pairs in a size larger than I normally would have worn before pregnancy. That said, even early on when I didn't look pregnant and wasn't swollen, they fit fine. They stretch. They work forever. Love them. Buy them. Wear them daily.
  2. Knit skirts are your friend - especially the ones with the fold over waistbands. Sound familiar? I had two from about a year before I got pregnant that work wonderfully, especially now that summer is gearing up.
  3. Broom skirts are worth it. I have two of them. They are floaty, long enough to cover my swollen knees, and are super comfortable.
  4. Bra extenders are necessary. I would buy these even if you purchased special maternity bras because your cups grew. The reason is your ribs will continue to expand, and extenders cost like $6 instead of a new bra which if it's any good will be at least $30. See the savings?
  5. Maxi dresses are amazing. These things are so comfy and you'll be able to wear them even after you lose the baby weight. I had some from before pregnancy that still work and I bought a few on sale to increase my options. Dress them up with a few accessories and your options are limitless (and comfy! Don't forget comfy!).
  6. Peasant tops account for expansion. I went to the discount store and found a slew of peasant tops that were cute and easily accommodated my growing midsection. I think I spent $30 on like 5 shirts. If I'd gotten maternity tops, I might have gotten one nice shirt for that price. Bleh!
  7. Raid your husband's cast-offs! A couple of my shirts are old tees Christian doesn't like/wear. I cut out the dorky neckline and voila! I have a cute, fashion forward screen-print top that can handle my burgeoning belly!
  8. Flip-flops are amazing! Especially if this is your first pregnancy, your feet are expanding. If you're like me and prego in summer, there is a special kind of swelling happening from toe to sole. Flip-flops make life so much easier. Plus, you don't have to bend down and buckle or tie anything! 
  9. Don't be afraid of thrift! While I have NOT gone to thrift stores (just because my shopping schedule doesn't really match theirs) there are a lot of donated maternity items there. You can find all kinds of high end once expensive pieces from the thrift store. So if you can't handle the idea of wearing peasant tops even with a cute belt for 6 months, check them out!
Even if you follow all these secrets, you may still want to buy a few "maternity" pieces (after all, I do love my 3 maternity tops). However, the total amount of money you spend will be peanuts compared to others who can't seem to get past the maternity ads. Your wallet, and your husband will thank you. Besides, you can wear some of those clothes long after you've popped that baby out. I plan to do that with my wardrobe (yes, yoga pants are totally a new mom's best friend!).

No comments:

Post a Comment