Saturday, April 26, 2014

Frustrations

Sometimes Kiddo will play and reach an impasse. There will be something he can't quite do, but wants to. He knows how it needs to be done, he just doesn't have the skills yet. The result is a bit of a baby tantrum.

He cries. He whines. He whimpers. He wails.

The current saving grace from this is distraction, but sometimes there's no distraction big enough.

I know how he feels. I've never been very physically coordinated. Gym class was a personal horror for me through much of my public education. This was mostly because I understood the mechanics of the activities, I just couldn't get my body to do them.

Now I empathize with Kiddo's frustration in a different way. I see the things I want to get done and recognize I have only a fraction of the time needed to do them. I literally cannot do them all. I have to prioritize. I have to compromise. I have to accept the fact that certain parts of my life have to be placed on the back burner or tabled permanently.

It's a difficult thing to accept, especially in the face of my ambitions.

So when I see Kiddo crying because he doesn't have the basic skills to put his shapes into the sorter or successfully stack the pieces of his stacking toy, I feel for him. Fortunately, there will come a time in the near future when he can do these things. I only hope the same can be said for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment