Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The First Thanksgiving: An Adventure

Tomorrow will be kiddo's first Thanksgiving. Of course he can't appreciate the spread involved, and because of that, along with my husband's preferences, we're booking it to the Mojave.

*cough*

Yes we're taking our 3 month old son to go desert dirt biking with his grandparents for his first T-day.

Well there are a few things you should know about this adventure of ours.

First, I have never ridden a dirt bike. I may have married a biker, but I'm not one.

Secondly, I have gone camping a total of 2 times - both in a tent with my husband. While I enjoyed both escapades, the first one involved a large glittering lake (actually glittering with specks of pyrite) and the second involved ginormous redwood trees. These are things I absolutely love - water and trees.

Water and trees are the opposite of the desert.

To be fair, I like the desert in winter. It's the right temperature for me and often it's wet enough to boast beautiful flowers. I look forward to these things.

I'm unsure about the dirt biking with a baby thing. I'm not sure if there will be enough interesting walking trails for me to continue my workout regime (getting that baby weight off is a priority - plus the marriage weight I've been accumulating for 5+ years).

I'm also concerned about kiddo's eye. His right tearduct is underdeveloped (normal for a baby under 6 months). This means it doesn't drain properly, which means it's continuously goopy. I massage it and wipe away the gunk, but the situation is ripe for ocular irritation, particularly conjunctivitis.

If the sand isn't wet enough, dust will fly everywhere. Kiddo is so small, even if he begrudgingly wears his sunglasses, I'm afraid his eye will get worse. It had gotten a lot better in the last month but a really windy/dusty outing caused it to get nearly as bad as it was his first weeks of life. I don't want the problem exacerbated because Daddy wanted to ride bikes. :-/

Whatever happens, the time is sure to be an adventure. I have several plans in place should it be too windy/dusty for kiddo. I just hope he doesn't get bored being in the camper for 3 days if the weather doesn't cooperate. He is only a baby, but he's also already over Peek-a-boo (he knows how the game works and is no longer entertained by it). This kid is too smart for his own good. And he's teething. It may be a tough trip.

I'm crossing my fingers as I pray.

Ever had a tough trip with a little one? Give us some tips and pointers below!

No comments:

Post a Comment