Monday, May 26, 2014

18 Tools to Survive Active Babies

A few of my favorite things...
To survive an active older baby, you need special tools as a mom. Nothing can have just one use or be purely ornamental. Everything has purpose. Here are my tools of the trade:
  1. A good hair tie or clip - because otherwise my hair will get pulled.
  2. Stud earrings - because dangly earrings will get pulled.
  3. A large purse - to carry my make-up, phone, wallet, sunglasses, tissues, pens, compact mirror, and extra toys in. Just add the kitchen sink.
  4. Dental picks- ones with floss are good to use anywhere. Who knows how easily I'll be able to floss my teeth and these are a twofer!
  5. A nice bodywash - I just got one that feels like I'm spreading silk across my skin. I might get short showers, but damn they feel luxurious!
  6. Spray lotion- this new fangled product means I get lotion on my skin twice as often as I would otherwise (I.e. I avoid Kiddo meltdowns).
  7. Spray sunblock - because otherwise I would never be able to protect my skin (I.e. helps avoid Kiddo meltdowns)!
  8. Iced tea - cold, refreshing, and caffienated. You do the math.
  9. Robe - having this to run around the house in is great when waking up and going to bed. The pockets alone are lifesavers!
  10. Exercise band - I can workout anywhere with these puppies and I can't live without working out. Such a good stress-buster!
  11. Nutella - It's dessert! It's breakfast! It's phenomenal! On whole grain toast I get a chocolate and nut butter fix in one at any time of day without the guilt. This is my new favorite food!
  12. A large throw pillow - sounds simple and random, but this allows me to hang out with Kiddo, minimizes his fussing, and write (or play games on my phone) all while being comfy. Otherwise my lumbar region would need to be realigned.
  13. Highlighter (or bronzer) - I've said it before, but I'll say it again; this junk is MAGICAL! When I feel old, frumpy, sleepy, or any of the 7 dwarves, I just put some of this on my face and viola! I look rested, and glowing! Every mom MUST HAVE this! Such a mood enhancer (oh, and you know, your face too!).
  14. Wedge flip-flops - really any dressier yet comfy sandal could satisfy this one. But chasing around Kiddo takes energy. I need comfy shoes that look cute. Sometimes that's a tall order. Heh.
  15. 4 in 1 Nail file/buffer - I don't have time or money for mani/pedis. I don't have the energy to deal with polishing my nails myself. There's so much effort in maintaining them and inevitably they'll get chipped 5 minutes later. But buffing my nails I can handle! A few minutes of work before going to sleep and I have shiny pretty nails for a couple weeks. No worries about chipping or chemicals and just one low price! Perfection!
  16. Scarves - I love scarves. I've been a fan for a long time. They can add flare to a drab outfit or make an old shirt look new. They don't break when Kiddo pulls on them and they can double as a nursing cover in a pinch. Plus when I wear one, I feel fabulous!
  17. A notepad - I might seem like a ludite, but I need this! I forget things if I don't write them down. Something small I can fit in my purse or something large so I can plan hostile takeovers (or just what to take on a trip) - I use them all!
  18. Prenatal vitamin - Since I'm breastfeeding, I need this to feel normal. Yes, I eat pretty well balanced meals etc, but when I don't take my vitamin, I notice a big difference in my energy and abilities. This is a must.
What are your must-have tools for surviving an active baby or toddler? Leave a comment below! I'd love suggestions to improve and make my life easier too!

No comments:

Post a Comment