Saturday, May 17, 2014

The New Fluff: Updates to Our Cloth

Well I got a few packages in the mail. WOOHOO!

From Amazon I got:
1 gallon Bac-out (not pictured)
3 Charcoal bamboo inserts
4 Thirsties hemp inserts
1 Planetwise medium size wetbag
1 Blueberry coverall diaper cover
1 Bummis whisper wrap (not pictured)
1 Bummis pull over wrap (not pictured)
1 Thirsties duo cover (not pictured)


From Nicki's Diapers I have:
2 Nicki's bamboo AIO
1 Nicki's pocket
1 Nicki's fitted cotton
1 Nicki's fitted bamboo
2 Imagine cotton flats
3 pairs baby legwarmers

Now let me explain my purchase choices. Bac-out is a magical stink and stain remover. I've used it on Christian's motorcycle clothes, Java's puke stains, and Kiddo's diapers. It's hard to find so it's cheaper to order a huge thing and just have it on hand.

I know I like hemp inserts, so I wanted to get a few of those to replace the bulky stuffing I have in my pockets (they still need another layer for them to work as they are just hemp). I wanted to try the bamboo because they are well loved. These bamboo inserts also have a layer of microfiber, so I shouldn't have to stuff them with anything additional unless I want to (for night for example).
The wetbag goes perfectly with our diaper bag (like...seriously matches...despite difference in brands) and will be used exclusively with the diaper bag.

As Kiddo is a big kid, I wanted a few covers that would work with his chunky legs. Blueberry coveralls have a reputation for working with bigger kids. I've had him wearing them the last couple days on the middle rise and there's plenty of room to add padding if need be. I may buy another in the future. The other covers, the Bummis and Thirsties I had in smaller sizes and used when Kiddo was little. They fit really well with Kiddo's unusual shape. I'm really excited to use them this time around.

As to the Nicki's purchases, I wanted to try their pocket diaper. I may be retiring some of my current pockets and so I will need replacements (because of leg hole size issues). I also wanted a few nighttime options. I can get Kiddo through a nap with his Kawaii pockets stuffed with hefty cotton prefolds, but night? I decided to try the AIOs for this purpose (wish me luck cuz Kiddo is wearing one RIGHT NOW AS HE SLEEPS!).

Because I finally will have covers that fit Kiddo, I felt comfortable ordering things that require them like fitteds. I personally lurve fitted diapers. They're my favorites, and I wanted to try a cheaper option than some of the others in my stash. If it works out, I'll probably get some more. They could be used for day or night, with added inserts etc.

Since I'm into variety and have covers to use, I really went far afield. I've been curious about using flats, so I thought I'd just get a couple to try out. I've heard they're very trim and they have the added benefit of being dirt cheap as well as fitting any size baby. Looking at them for the first time, they seem REALLY thin. I'm not sure how that will work with the Kiddo fountain, but we'll see. I have to practice a few fold configurations once they're fully prepped. If worse comes to worst, I'll use them as back-ups or pad-folded doublers.

I could have gotten another diaper... I could have, but I just hate pants when cloth diapering. Actually, I lied. I just hate pants. Baby legwarmers are kind of amazing. As I can't find my sewing machine in storage and have had some problems with getting the hand-sewn leggings through the wash intact (user error I think), I decided to get a couple pairs. Plus I got another pair free. Sweet.

Next cloth-diapering post I'll let you know about my prepping as well as the good, bad, and ugly of my new fluff.

Got any new fluff? Share some pics below! I lurve them!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment