Monday, May 12, 2014

Updating Fluff

Oh for the days of smaller butts!
Everyone always has questions about cloth diapers. So to contribute to general knowledge and all that, I'll share what I know.

Firstly, here is my current stash:
7 Kawaii pockets
1 Bumgenius pocket
2 Babykicks pockets (each w/hemp/microfiber insert)
3 Thirsties all-in-ones
2 Motherease all-in-ones
4 Prowraps (note: These don't really fit Kiddo's thighs any more so I question including them at all in this list.).
1 Kushies fitted diaper
1 Kissaluvs contour
1 Kissaluvs fitted diaper
2 Babykicks hemp prefolds
1 Babykick premium hemp insert
18 cotton prefolds (too small to wear except padfolded/used as pocket stuffing)
10 Bummis fleece liners
A bagillion microfiber inserts (I don't use bc Kiddo is so active they ALWAYS result in compression leaks even when used with prefolds)
3 Snappis
2 Kanga medium wetbags
1 Planetwise large wetbag

Let's go over the pros in my stash: The usable diapers I have can be used by anyone. Grandparents can easily put Kiddo in the pockets and AIOs. Daddy is confident in putting these on Kiddo. Family members like them so much, they even become choosey about which colors they put on (have to match Kiddo's outfit!). And these things are good...however...

If you know anything about cloth, you know I have some problems with my stash. I have 5 diapers I can't really use (even though they are my current FAVORITES) because I don't have covers to go over them. I also don't really have a night/nap solution. AND I don't have enough diapers.

Cloth diapers, with the exception of flats and one-size (sort of), must be sized. I had a great stash for the first 3 months of Kiddo's life and then I started seeing it whittle away as he grew. Some great covers suddenly were too small. My prefolds barely fit around his waist and thighs much too quickly.

I've learned a few things about cloth and I would have changed some purchases knowing what I do now, lessons which I will graciously share.

I love hemp. Hemp is where it's at for heavy wetting. Mixing hemp with a prefold or microfiber is winning. Spending a bit more on a diaper or cover that will get used longer is okay. Fitted diapers are a great compromise between prefolds and pockets. I really love Motherease - it's an unsung hero in cloth, but there you go. I like to try things out. It's addicting. Hook and loop closures work best for us because of Kiddo's kind of an odd size. Cloth is easier for older babies because they poop less, but when they do, a sprayer or scraping implement better be close by. Cloth diapering is addicting.

I have to confess, thinking about cloth diapering makes me want to have another kid...just so I can do cloth from the beginning and revamp my stash. That's totally a normal response...right?

In my next CDing post I'll share what changes/improvements I would/will/have make/made to my older baby stash as well as my wish list. Stay tuned!

What's in your stash? What are some lessons you've learned about cloth diapering? What are some changes you'd make? Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment