Monday, March 31, 2014

Upcycling for DIY Baby Leg Warmers

Now that kiddo is threatening to crawl we have come across a potential problem - rug burned knees.

The first option is for kiddo to wear pants ALL the time. This is impractical. He gets hot and at home we cloth diaper, which makes pants more than a little difficult.

There are knee guards you can buy but they're ugly and sort of pointless. I mean, thighs still get cold and these things are like little sweatbands for baby's knees.

There is another option - BabyLegs or rather, leg warmers. Now I did have these on my registry, but didn't get them. I could have purchased them, but I didn't really want to spend money on them because they seem a little overpriced for what they are so...

I made some out of unused socks.

Stay with me here...

First I selected some of Christian's and my socks that hadn't been used, didn't work, or didn't fit and would be long enough. Second I cut above the heel of the sock. This would become the leg of the baby leg. Third I cut the heel off and the toe. This piece I folded in on itself to become a cuff at kiddo's ankle.


If I had my sewing machine available, this next bit would have been a lot quicker...but I didn't. So I hand stitched the cuffs to the unfinished end of my baby leg warmers.


And...voila! 7 more times and I had 4 sets of baby legs using materials around my house (I should say I have another pair of partial leg warmers because I want to change out the cuff material.). I slipped kiddo into them immediately and I was more than a little excited; it's the first time he wore anything I made for him.

And how does kiddo like his new clothes? Let's just say the ventilation and knee protection combined with sweet style is perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment