Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Hidden Benefits of Breastfeeding

I'm not going all lactivist on everyone, BUT I've discovered some other benefits to nursing than kiddo's health. I think probably most breastfeeding mothers are familiar with them, but maybe other people haven't realized there are benefits other than a baby's health.

I like nursing because it forces me to be close to kiddo. I have to scoop him close to me and cradle him, sometimes to purposefully soothe him which it always does. It also gives us a little time to interact. After kiddo nurses, if he hasn't fallen asleep, he looks at me with his bright blue eyes and smiles his huge gummy smile. No matter how I feel earlier, it always melts my heart.

Another benefit to nursing is the fact that I can always disappear. While needing to disappear to nurse could be a hindrance, it's been a blessing for me. I can separate myself from the hustle and bustle of life and cuddle with kiddo.

Because of this separation, I also get time to think. It's not quite the same as alone time, but it functions in a similar way. Considering how little down time I get these days, the thinking time is very much appreciated.

I've been told breastfeeding helps mothers lose baby weight, but I'm not sure nursing is responsible for my weight loss so much as my new diet and exercise regime (Though I can't really say one way or another because I've never nursed besides with kiddo and I've never done this exercise/diet regime except now.).

Nursing is worth trying - if only because it gives you some extra quiet time when motherhood is full of wailing, squealing, farting, etc, etc. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment