Saturday, October 26, 2013

Paid Forward - Random Blessings

I have a friend who is kind of like the older sister I never had. Her family is very close to mine and she had kids a bit before I had kiddo. Even though she lives across the country, she decided to help us out a LOT with things kiddo needed (and things that would be generally nice to have).

"Wonder Wheel" toy image from Sassy Baby
So for about a month, every week we got a package in the mail from Stephanie. Sometimes they would be just one thing - like a bouncer seat (which has proven invaluable). Other times it would be a series of small things - like a toddler bib and a set of teething keys (which I know kiddo will use plenty when he is a bit older).

This past week we got two packages. One was from Stephanie directly and included a lot of things she used for her own son (who has outgrown anything kiddo would need at this point). This was an awesome package that had tons of clothes (which a giant baby like kiddo goes through like water!) as well as an Ergo carrier (also exciting as Christian didn't have a carrier he could wear).

The second package was sort of from or rather because of Stephanie. She had bid on a Halo sleep sack/swaddle from a woman on eBay. She won the auction and explained that instead of sending the item to her, that it needed to go to her friend whose husband had recently lost his job and they were first time parents. Well, this woman who had no connection to Stephanie or myself said she would see if she had anything extra lying around to send to us.

I will just say I was completely blown away. This is the random package I got from a woman I've never met:
  • teethers
  • a vision toy
  • pacifiers
  • a pocket to go on the side of a carseat
  • a set of no spill snack bowls
  • a set of no slip toddler plates
  • a changing pad cover
  • an Infantino baby carrier
  • a crib sheet
  • a Snuzzler (body support for carseat or bouncer)
  • and of course, the Halo sleep sack/swaddle
I was confused when I received the package because it had no note. Stephanie always sends a sweet little note. We had talked about her sending me her Infantino, but had decided to send the Ergo, which is why I was even more confused. Added to this was the fact the thing came from an address and a woman I'd never met nor had any obvious connection to.

I asked Stephanie and she told me the woman said she'd add things, but Stephanie had no idea the impact her offhanded comment would have. At a time when we're still wondering what Christian will do for money and living at my parents' place, it was an amazing gift from a person we may never meet that made our day.

The moral of this story is, there are kind people in this world. Our connections and conversations can have a greater impact than we could possibly know or even expect. Share, give, and love. I know when Christian and I are well established, we will do something like this for someone else - someone who needs a little blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment