Monday, August 3, 2015

Three Leaps: Water, Language, & Sleep

I feel like I always say this, but it's true: This past week was huge for Kiddo (Psst - is parenthood always like this?).

First, he finally got in the ocean and - LOVED IT! Yes! He loved wading through the water. He loved the sand. He did not want to leave. He only willingly left when we explained we would come back another time.

*Blink*

Second, his language skills exploded...again. He uses possessives like my, mine, your, and yours. He uses three word sentences basically any time he speaks, and of course, Kiddo talks all the time. He does sometimes slip back into toddler babble when he doesn't have the words, but his words are recognizable around 50% of the time. He also repeats everything we say (Swearing and adult topics are COMPLETELY no-nos now, if they weren't already.). Music such as early Prince, Bruno Mars, and pretty much all rap from the 1990s until now is off the table. We're committed to Owl City, Kelly Clarkson, Raffi, and anything associated with his beloved Babybug Magazine.

Third, and probably the most exciting for me, HE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT! Yes, it was only ONE time, but still. I got to sleep for six hours straight and it was...glorious.

I forgot what that much sleep can do for a person. But I really missed it. Really. It's been over two years since I slept a full night. I think I slept an entire six hours a few times during my pregnancy. I want to say twice. So I think that is three times I've slept a solid night in the past 2.5 years.

Yeah.

Of course, my niece, a whole year younger than Kiddo, sleeps through the night and has since she was like six months old. Every kid is different. Breastfeeding v. formula impacts sleeping. Cosleeping or not also changes nighttime dynamics. It's a complicated and mysterious thing. That said, I'm pretty sure the new room and bed makes a difference for Kiddo's longer sleeping times. I hope this continues, though I know there will be a kind of forward/back process as we slowly move towards sleeping through consistently.

It was an exciting time this past week. It kind of feels like it will continue to be that way for a while (if not forever). Even though some things are less than ideal (changing personal habits like music or sleep times), I frequently find myself overwhelmed by love and joy at the mere thought of Kiddo. He does something during the day, and I'll find myself smiling and giddy at the memory. I didn't expect that, but it happens almost every day now. It's one of those things parents don't really talk about, so it sneaks up on you. And trust me when I say, it is a hidden treasure, and just as glorious as sleeping for six hours straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment