Monday, July 27, 2015

Clothing Sizes Are Crap

3T shirt & 24 MO shorts
Today my child is wearing a 3T shirt and 24 month shorts and they both fit well. This is not the first time kiddo has worn two different sizes. It is not the first time he's been in sizes that didn't reflect his age. I remember Kiddo getting a 5 piece set in 9 months. It was so small he could wear it when he wore 3 months, which was a week after birth. In fact, the only thing Kiddo wore in "newborn" was socks (he's got tiny feet). 

There were a few times when he wore something that matched his age (18 months is such a catch all size he happened to wear it when he was close, but then quickly switched to 24.). For the most part, however, Kiddo is taller and thinner than most standard clothing sizes.
3T shorts & 2T shirt (grandad's boots)

I understand that need to have different standards for clothing sizes. There are some children who are just bigger than others and they need clothing that fits that is age appropriate. That said, the difference in clothing brand is significant.

For example, Nordstrom's clothes are always too small at his age (and pretty much everything they carry in that store). He would need to wear 3 or 4T at this point. Designer brands tend to run small - so if he gets Nautica or Janie & Jack, he can wear it for a little while before it gets packed away (Incidentally, Levi's, Nike, Lucky, and Kenneth Cole seem to be true to size.) Store brands vary greatly. Osh Kosh and Old Navy/Gap is true to size, where Babies R' Us can go either way. Carter's varies greatly between the lines - some are PERFECT for Kiddo, while others have too small of collars to go over his head, or the pants are waaaay too long for his short little legs. Gymboree is big. Always. It's like it's made for Norwegians. He is just now growing out of his 18-24 month Gymboree clothes. Garanimal clothes run big, but it varies depending on the piece (especially shirts). Generally those tend to be WIIIIDE and shorter compared to say, Gymboree clothes.

18 MO shirt & 24 MO shorts
It took me a year to get a handle on all these brands, and during that time (and every time I dress Kiddo) I am reminded how clothing sizes are crap. They really have nothing to do with you. They are based on a set of standards established with a select few fit models.

It is a good reminder as I go clothing shopping for myself. Now when I shop, I get like four or five different sizes. As long as I like the piece, I'll try it on to see if it will work for my body. Because just like kids' sizes, adult sizes are all different and they have nothing to do with anything. The goal is always to find something that looks good on my body, not to purchase a certain size.

Of course it is nice as I see a general shrinking trend  (Yay size 6!) but sometimes I buy a size 8 or 9. Sometimes I buy misses or juniors or ladies. It just depends. In shirts, I wear styles that range from small to large because of cuts and drapes. And it honestly doesn't matter. I don't care what the size is, as long as it looks good.

No comments:

Post a Comment