Thursday, July 31, 2014

Baby-Led Weaning: An Alien Update

The self feeding/eating solids thing is going reasonably well except for a few little bits...
  1. I hate the mess. I really do. I hate having to clean him up. I haven't mastered it yet. Kiddo gets goo in his legs' fat folds, under his butt, down his shirt, and on every piece of furniture in a 3 foot radius. On spectacular days, his arms are covered in a thick layer of food which extends to his torso, chin, mouth, and of course his hair.  I'd rather Kiddo eat naked and then hose him off which doesn't work at this point (unfortunately!). For now I try to keep the messiness to a minimum and at night before his bath. This is marginally practical.
  2. Sometimes I forget to plan his meals. I am so used to him nursing all the time, I forget he needs something else and I end up scrambling at the last minute. It makes me feel guilty - like I'm neglecting him and therefore I'm an unfit mother.
  3. Kiddo doesn't like "baby foods." He likes adult foods with spices and herbs and oil. This means he no longer eats plain anything. He just plays with plain food leaving it all around him in a 3 foot radius. This means I have to be a little more conscious about his food and making it tasty...which I am sooo good at! *rolls eyes*
So what does he like?
  • Grandma's red sauce
  • Tomatoes - plain, unripe, doesn't matter. He LURVES them.
  • Pasta - all kinds
  • Spanish rice
  • Fried rice
  • Sweet potato
  • White beans (in things or herbed up)
  • Carrots
  • Garlic (in things of course)
  • Dal (lentils)
  • Refried beans
  • Pinto beans
  • Black beans
  • Red beans (sensing a trend?)
  • Applesauce
  • Banana
  • Bean cakes
  • Multigrain pancakes
  • Peas
  • Ground turkey
  • Salmon
  • Watermelon
  • Peaches
  • Plums
  • And fresh Cheerios
white bean, carrot, and garlic cakes - yum!
Things he isn't crazy about
  • Corn
  • Zucchini
  • Broccoli (though if I flavored it, he might like it again)
  • White potatoes
  • Green beans
  • Old Cheerios (sitting in the travel case too long?)
  • Strawberries (though it may have changed)
Things he drools over from afar:
  • Gelato
  • Ranch dressing
  • Yogurt
  • Kale salad
  • Green salad
  • Anything brightly colored or unusual (in texture or shape)
Things we're getting ready to try:
  • New recipes from BLW sites (veggie cakes, muffins etc)
  • More green or root veggies with herbs and spices(I want him to like vegetables dang it!)
  • Chicken (canned without salt if I can find it)
  • Tuna (canned without salt if I can find it)
  • Scrambled egg
  • Bell pepper (roasted?)
  • Mushrooms
  • Fresh fruit dipped in plain yogurt
I am determined to get better at this feeding thing. Having declared it, I'm sure we're bound for success.

What success have you had with transitioning to solids? Favorite recipes? Favorite plain foods? Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment