Monday, February 3, 2014

Music for My Alien

I mentioned before how much kiddo likes music, and as he's gotten older he continues to express his opinion about different songs and styles. Unfortunately, as expected, he tends to like kid music.

Hmm. Wonder why.

But he also likes the Kingston Trio's "Zombie Jamboree" as well as that profound song about the lime and coconut. Sigh. But along with his very predictable preferences, he has some interesting ones as well. He loves to hear me sing and watch his granddad play guitar.

My dad and I have a small gig this Thursday in Pismo Beach and so we've been practicing a little (hopefully more in the next couple days). Those familiar with my music career will know I last wrote songs at the tender age of 17.

Ahem.

Needless to say it's been a while and most of the old lyrics no longer speak to me. As such we decided we'd try our hand at making some new material. I wrote some new lyrics and my dad wrote some guitar parts. Low and behold we cobbled together a new song today, which made kiddo smile. This was more exciting for me than normal because the song in question was written with kiddo in mind.

As an artist it would be hard to ignore such a life event as the birth of a child, so it was only a matter of time before I created something specifically for our son. This set of lyrics really was inspired. The melody took work, but with the guitar parts and lyrics, it feels like the gift it was meant to be. Hopefully we'll record it and share it with you (I feel very good about it). Then someday kiddo can listen to it - maybe when he's much older, maybe when I'm gone - and know without a doubt how much he was and is loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment