Saturday, December 13, 2014

DIY Upcycle: Baby Doll

I have a few videos that need editing before they can be posted. With that in mind...I figured it was a good time to post another homemade present!

I can do that for a few more years...

I read that all children - boys and girls - need a baby doll. Looking at most purchase options, I was less than thrilled. Determined that Kiddo should have a doll, I decided I would sew one myself.

This was the most ambitious sewing craft I have EVER done, especially considering it is handsewn. Originally I had white denim, thinking it would hold up to abuse better than cotton knit. In the end, I decided to use a pale knit for the limbs. As an impatient person, I did not measure or trace. I eyeballed the limbs. I traced the body shape from another stuffed animal of Kiddo's. I designed a face and embroidered this first. I added a belly button.

Then I cut pieces of green knit to be a cloth diaper on the baby (permanent). I pinned these to the base of the body. I stuffed the sewn limbs with some empty fabric at the end to allow them to attach easily (and for limb movement). I stitched these on leaving a space on the side of the body so I could turn it back out. Knowing what I know now, I would have ironed the edges in and stitched the doll on the outside. C'est le guerre.

Turning out was hard because of the denim body, but I was successful. Once done, I stuffed the doll and stitched it closed. Finally I took three embroidery floss braids (three strands each) and folded them. I wove a needle through them and stitched them to the doll's head to make hair.

Voila! Baby doll! Is it perfect? No. I could have done a few different things to make it more professional looking... BUT I am not a seamstress. I'm a mom. This was my biggest sewing craft ever and I didn't follow anyone's instructions. Considering that, I think I did really well and I'm certain Kiddo will love it come Christmas morning. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment