Wednesday, December 10, 2014

DIY Upcycle: T-shirt Pillow

I'm making a lot of Christmas presents this year. Part of it is because baby presents are relatively easy. Part is I like upcycling. Part of it is resource availablity.

That said, Kiddo is getting a few keepsake items made from things lying around and a little dollar store ingenuity.

I got some embroidery floss from the dollar store along with needles for a puppet project a while back (never got to it). I do have a sewing machine, but it is MIA so I have to do everything by hand. Fortunately now I have a little time and a lot of fabric scraps. Unfortunately some of my best sewing time is when Kiddo is entertaining himself. This meant he saw one of the presents intended for Christmas...and it became an advent gift.

Christian has a bunch of old shirts that shrank with various graphics etc. One happened to have an R1200 GS motorcycle on it. Another had stylized "BMW Motorrad" on it. I cut out the motorcycle and then traced that shape on the BMW shirt. I split the embroidery floss to sew with 3 strands as opposed to 6. I chose to embrace the handsewn look and have the stitching outside, as one might find with some Indian pieced accessories. I rolled extra/uneven edges making it a little more interesting and crossed the stitching, if casually. Once the pillow was mostly stitched, I stuffed it with some filling I got at a craft store (20 oz for $5!). I sewed the last little bit, at which point Kiddo wanted it (and Grandma suggested handing it to him not knowing my intention...sigh). Considering his extensive present list, it's alright to let him have one thing early, even if he refused to have his picture taken with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment