Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Priority Shuffle: At-Home Time Management

I've been thinking a lot about priorities lately. I have to. As a mom, I don't have time to fritter away. Every second is precious and so I consciously choose how to spend each one.

It may sound a little tedious, but it isn't practically.

When I choose how I spend my time, I am more productive. I get more done in the time I have because I know I only have so much time to devote to a given task. So right now, for example, I'm writing a blog post while nursing Kiddo to sleep. Yeah. Supermom.

I also enjoy my tasks more when I am consciously deciding how to spend my time. I feel successful when I get a blog post written as I am right now. I feel blessed when I get to play with my son or read him a story.

The trouble is of course, there is a lot to get done and I have to juggle things in such a way that sometimes it is uncomfortable. When I sleep later and have to workout with Kiddo awake in the pack n' play, he's not too happy. Scrambling to get the diaper laundry and Christian's work clothes done while Kiddo is occupied in his play seat or the play yard is not easy. Often there is crying or whining involved.

I'm finding more and more that my personal needs that don't dovetail with others get pushed to the wayside. I really want to paint my toenails and file them etc, but I just don't have the time. I'd love to put lotion on my skin, but again, I don't have the time. Honestly, I have to force time to brush my teeth. Only through creative management am I able to eat regularly.

I'm also discovering that generally speaking, men have a hard time understanding this. People who are not at home parents have a hard time understanding this.

There are a few kinds of people right now who are seriously bugging me with their lack of understanding about at-home parent time management:

1.Women with nannies who still claim they don't have time (what are they doing with all that extra time???)
2. Working parents or childless people who ask, what are you doing all day?
3. And of course, parents who shirk their responsibilities placing an unequal load without a break on the parent at-home (because the at-home parent has all that time!).

I use every second of my day and I still miss things, forget things, etc. I manage my time very well. Even when I force the issue, there are still things that don't get done (like workouts, or alone time, or eating). I prioritize, balance, and limit things. It takes a lot of discipline to study GRE when I'd rather write while Kiddo naps. But these are the choices I make while at-home. This is how I work to make my life better.

I am sure there are some at-home parents who don't do these things. My guess is, however, most are like me. Too bad their priority balancing act generally isn't valued or seen for what it truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment