Thursday, February 5, 2015

Super Toddler Verbal Explosion!

Reading the headlines
I knew it was going to happen, I just never expected it to be quite so much so quickly.

Kiddo is talking. I don't mean, one word here or there, but full three word, complete sentences.

Apparently it's inherited. My mother informed me that by the time I was 18 months old, I was communicating clearly with polysyllabic words as well as complete sentences.

Let me remind everyone, if you forgot, complete sentences need at least a subject and a verb (i.e. I go). If you want to get a little fancy, you can add an object (i.e. I go there).

Kiddo's sayings at this point are:
  • Apple
  • Nana (banana)
  • I go
  • I get
  • I get it
  • I get her
  • I do 
  • I do it
  • I like it
  • Again
  • Up
  • No
  • This
  • Hi
  • Hello
  • Kitty cat
  • Java
  • Dog
  • Duckie
  • Pop
  • Mommy
  • Dada
  • Granda
  • Granma
  • I love
These are things he consistently says. Although, I have heard him say "1,2,3" and "E,F,G" among other random words.

Just to make things really cool, he also carries melodies, matching pitch perfectly. These include the tune for "ABCs" as well as Brahms' "Lullaby." When he hears a song for the first time, he can often mimic certain musical phrases and frequently sings along.

Oh, and he tries to read. Like really. He spends hours looking at books, pieces of mail, and the newspaper. If you saw the picture I sent around recently, you saw him holding a paper like an adult. He does that regularly. He understands there is something on the page that indicates words, he just doesn't know quite what that entails.

The process is miraculous and wonderful. It truly is a joy to watch. I am so grateful my biggest problem is watching my words. It's a nice problem to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment