Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Happy Second Birthday!

I can't believe it's been two years.

Wow.

How could something so small and helpless turn into a hyperactive chatterbox?

I look through pictures and scan memories and find myself overwhelmed by how much Kiddo has changed in such a short time.

He transformed from a little human larvae into a little boy. He tells involved stories about his toys and favorite Sesame Street characters. He pretends - actively transforming his environment into childhood wonderlands where baskets are motorcycle helmets, lace cards are talking pets, motorcycles have friendly conversations in the refrigerator, and anything can become a horsie or a golf club.

Kiddo sits happily drawing for hours. But he's just as likely to run bases (sliding into home plate), or build towers, or dig in sand. He makes up songs for anything and everything, and loves watching musicians with their instruments.

Of course he throws tantrums when he can't communicate or isn't quite able to do something. But he also gives hugs and kisses, and says "please" and "thank you."

I can't believe he does so much - or how much my life has changed because of him. When I look at him, I can imagine him towering over me, talking about his plans for some exciting adventure or life-changing experience. I can feel how that will feel - the whole twenty or thirty years of parenting that went before and every stage of his experience from that moment all the way back to his first hour of life. I can do that, but I'd rather just enjoy the kisses of now, full-body giggles, excited toddler gibberish, and even the intense need for me in the middle of the night...

"Mama? Mama? Mama? I want Mama. Mama?"

That ask, born of the knowledge that separation will happen at some point. And then, we may or may not be ready. But for now, just for now, I'll savor everything about two. Good days and bad.
Happy Second Birthday Kiddo! I can't wait to see all the wonderful things in store for you and our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment